Crock Pot Ham and Lentils Soup Recipe
Crock Pot Ham and Lentils Soup recipe is a delicious crock pot soup recipe that is full of flavor.
Crock Pot Bean Soup Recipes
Crock Pot Bean Soup recipes are some of the best crock pot soup recipes to make.
Crock Pot bean soups are full of healthy dried beans or in the case of lentils legumes.
My favorite way to make homemade lentils soup is to slow cook it in the crock pot. Making homemade soup in the slow cooker doesn’t get much easier. All you have to do is fill the crock pot with the soup ingredients and let it slow cook for a few hours.
Scroll down to the “recipe card” where you can print the recipe with one click!
Crock Pot Meals for Men
A thick and chunky soup recipe like Ham and Lentils soup is a real man pleaser.
The tender lentils and hearty cubes of leftover ham are filling enough that the men in the family will love it.
Serve Crock Pot Ham and Lentils Soup with, homemade biscuits, a loaf of homemade Italian bread .
Or make this easy No-Knead Garlic Rosemary Bread and spread it with butter before sopping up the thick broth.
What to make with Leftover Ham?
If you served a baked ham during the holidays it is easy to turn that leftover ham bone into a delicious crock pot soup recipe.
Trim off all of the ham and cube it to use in this Ham and Lentil Bean soup recipe.
Or put the entire ham bone with the meat still attached to it into the crock pot and add all of the other soup ingredients.
Slow cook the ham bone with the dried lentils. By the time the lentils are tender the ham meat will just fall off the ham bone and there will be thick chinks of ham flavoring each bowl.
Love leftover ham recipes? Check out my Crock Pot Corn Chowder with Ham recipe.
Ingredients to make dried lentils and ham soup in the crock pot
- left over ham bone or 2 cups of cubed cooked ham
- dried brown lentils, rinsed and picked through
- a medium onion, diced
- fresh carrots, sliced
- canned of stewed tomatoes
- diced green or red bell peppers ( I used a Poblano pepper for a little spice)
- fresh garlic cloves or minced jarred garlic
- dried bay leaves
- ground black pepper
- chicken broth
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup With Ham
Dried brown lentils are one of the easiest dried beans to cook in the crock pot. They cook the fastest. After just a few hours of simmering the lentils will be tender.
Unlike other larger dried beans that take 4 to 8 hours to slow cook.
Love Crock Pot Soup recipes as much as I do? Check out my crock pot soup recipes category for more easy Crock Pot Soup recipes.
How To make Crock Pot Lentils and Ham Soup
Step 1: Prep all the fresh vegetables by peeling and then dicing or slicing.
Step 2: Cube the ham or if using the entire ham bone trim off any large pieces of fat and discard.
Step 3: Rinse the dried lentils and pick out any debris that might be present.
Step 4: Place all of the lentil soup ingredients into the crock pot and place the lid on.
Step 5: Slow cook the Crock Pot Ham and Lentils soup. You can cook this slow cooker ham and lentils recipe for 8 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
Print the Crock Pot Lentils and Ham Soup Recipe below.
Crock Pot Ham and Lentils Soup Recipe
- 1 lb dried brown lentils (rinsed and picked through)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 cup of fresh sliced carrots
- two 14.5 oz cans of stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced green or red bell peppers (I used a Poblano pepper for a little spice)
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced or 1 1/2 tables spoons jarred minced garlic)
- 2 cups leftover holiday ham (cubed)
- 3 large dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups chicken broth
- Rinse the dried lentil beans under cold water in a colander. Pick through the dried beans and remove any debris. Drain well.
- Dice the the pepper and onion. Slice the carrots and mince the garlic.
- Add the vegetables including the canned tomatoes to a 6 quart or 7 quart crock pot.
- Cut the leftover ham into cubes and add to the crock pot.
- Add the bay leaves, ground pepper and salt to the crock pot.
- Pour the chicken broth into the crock pot and stir with a large spoon to combine.
- Place the lid on the crock pot and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until the lentil beans are tender.
- Serve with a crusty bread or crackers.
- Makes 8+ servings.
- Different type of lentil beans will need to cook for different lengths of time. This recipe is for brown lentils.
- Lentils do not need to be soaked before cooking.
- Soaking will make lentil beans mushy.
Subscribe to the Easy Crock Pot Recipe newsletter and grab your free 10 Budget Friendly Crock Pot Ground Beef Recipes eBook